The building of my 46 Olds Street Rod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The building of my 46 Olds Street Rod

I'm Elbows Deep into the building of my 1946 Old Street Rod. I'll use the next couple of posts to bring y'all up to date. This discussion will document its build start to finish.

A couple of links related are:
    I bought this car over ten years ago, but never drove it on the street as it's build was very Questionable. The body appeared to be solid based on a magnet test and view from underneath, but it clearly was rigged as cheap as it could be and was a three footer - if that. The front subframe appears to have come from a mid seventies Olds 98, and it appears to be done right. I really didn't pay much attention to anything else in the car as I knew I'd either flip it or completely rebuild it.

Photos

Maniacal Ravings of an Old Hippie
    Shop Diary of an Old NSS Racer

My image posting solution was to go to Southern Star Hosting, to register the domain of www.OldHippiesPhotos.com for less than $10, and hosting for less than $5 a month. I then installed the Free Application Zen Photo with one click from my Control Panel. I have tens of thousands of my photo digitized, which in time I'll upload there to preserve from disaster, and access from anywhere. In the meantime it makes for a great place to host my forum photos - plus I can still install 24 more free applications on that site if I cared to.

So the car sat for years, until about five years ago when I hired a painter to paint my 2006 King Ranch and 2009 Challenger a Cadillac metallic pearl red on top, black on bottom - and a separator line of Mary kay Pink on the Challenger and gold on my truck.

I liked the scheme so much I decided we'd repeat it on the Olds

My image posting solution was to go to Southern Star Hosting, to register the domain of www.OldHippiesPhotos.com for less than $10, and hosting for less than $5 a month. I then installed the Free Application Zen Photo with one click from my Control Panel. I have tens of thousands of my photo digitized, which in time I'll upload there to preserve from disaster, and access from anywhere. In the meantime it makes for a great place to host my forum photos - plus I can still install 24 more free applications on that site if I cared to.

Comment

The first job was to get the 150 coats of old paint off

This mechanical stripping was done with about 250 single edge razor blades. and about a week.

Comment

Then came the sanding, priming, more sanding, frenching the head lights, and fitting the 39 Lincoln tail lights

Comment

Then the Color coat

Lots of clear and color sanding

then the Power buffing

Comment

So then the car sat for five years. Out of the paint booth the steering wheel turned, but the wheels had something else in mind. My son worked for me full time and was suppose to fix, but he never got around to it. Truth be told, he totally lost interest in it.

He stopped working for me in October 2015, and ever since I've been moving my shop from a very large in Richmond, Texas, to less than half the space in Beasley in about ten moves - so I can organize and sell of some stuff before next load.

A couple of weeks ago I picked the next three cars I could bring to the shop to work on. They were the three my son was suppose to be focused on, but have sat without anything done in almost two years. A Little Red Express that I bought from him so he could pay bills and buy an engagement ring; the Texas Thug, a race car that hasn't been assembled since it was painted two and half years ago; and the Olds. Since the car didn't steer, I couldn't start to air up the air bags, and I couldn't get a straight shot onto the trailer - it was a Class A MF as I had no real help loading on a 95 degree day. But I got it there and in the shop.

and then sicked my part time after school kid on bucket washing the five years of dirt off.

Comment

So now that the car is in the shop and cleaned up, It's time to find out what's wrong with the steering, get the engine fired up, and come up with a plan. I just hired a guy to come in one day a week (on most weeks) to help me get all of my crap running.

On the steering, it turns out that we're lucky no one died. The coupler was attached to the hollow end of the column's shaft with a set screw that wore a groove and collaosed the hollow end of the shaft.

So the plan was to weld up solid

Dremel it clean

We'll drill all of the way through the coupler and shaft and insert a nut & bolt through it

Got the engine fired and running, the AC blows cold and air bags work. Found the water pump leaks, the alternator is toast, and power steering leaks. The huge air compressor is solid mounted in the trunk, and that needs to be changed too. The battery location in the trunk needs to be changed also. So the focus is on getting the steering, alternator, and leaks fixed - and then I'll trailer down to upholstery shop to match colors on interior while we get the rest f the car right. Then tires/wheels, interior and I'll be back to street rodding.

Comment

Wasn't really work on car, but I cleaned up shop, lacked up Olds so I could push it over a couple of feet and make room for the Texas Thug - which I have to rebuild. I keep it covered when I'm not working on it.

Comment

Next up was to unbox my Christmas present from my wife, as I had a lot of boxes to burn and wanted to also burn the boxes they were in. She dropped her iPad and needed an new one, and I needed jacking car skates - she we each got an early Christmas present, and I got it all assembled.

The Steering column, alternator, and waterpump are now in the Olds Street Rod.

Comment

Bought a new thermostat, gasket and two gallon of antifreeze. Started car and coolant wouldn't circulate at over 220 degrees. Let car cool, took out thermostat and all is well. Back to get new thermostat and gasket.

Comment

Most recent update is that the steering is done, new alternator and water pump installed, and I ordered five f the below wheels.

I'll either mount 235/60-15 or 225/75-15 - depending on what fits best.

Engine running good, but transmission leaks. I ordered a pan gasket and rear seal to see if that cures it.

The air bag pump is solid mounted in trunk, and noisy as Hell. Ordered a set of MSD ignition box isolators and will try that. The truck is the main focus right now. reorganizing everything before having interior shop finishes it up.

Comment

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X