Thread: Turbo Troubles

Real Name
    Dave Schultz

Turbo Troubles

I have a 2006 Ford King Ranch 4X4 Dually Crew cab with 70,000 miles on it. Recently, the heat resistant rubber coupling (about 3" diameter and 7'-9" long with slight elbow) between the turbo and the cooler is popping off. It last did it while my son Dallas was driving the truck, and wouldn't stay on no matter how tight he tightens the clamp. He cleaned the inside where it pops off and put a little smear of Permatex Red on it (maybe not the best plan) -- and it still popped of once boost builds. He looked on the Internet -- and people are saying they get soft and do that -- but that when you put a new one on -- the other two turbo couplers will start to pop off.

Ford bent him over for $80 for a new one -- but no matter how hard he clamps it down -- it is popping off when boost builds.

Any ideas?

Real Name
    Dave Schultz
    Update -- it is the outlet -- not the inlet.

Someone is saying that it most likely a clogged intake, and that it most likely needs to be removed to clean.

Real Name
    Jimmy Ray
    What I do is: Make sure the pipe is clean, DRY and rough. Get some 80 grit (or courser) sandpaper and rough in a spiral pattern (horizontal to the clamp/hose). When I say dry, I mean alcohol, non-residue brake/electrical cleaner, dry. Pipe, clamp, and hose. Make sure the hose is fully inserted, square, and the clamp is also square. Make sure there is about 1/4" of hose sticking out behind the clamp (AND IT'S SQUARE). Tighten tight, but don't squash the pipe or eat the clamp into the hose plys!

Check boost psi before disassembling/cleaning......I've run 60 psig with stock hoses/clamps.

I know NOTHING about powerjokes (I'm not saying I'll never work on them, I just haven't gotten that hungry yet!) , but this is just diesel stuff.
    Last edited by FASTDIESEL; 12-22-2011 at 08:34 PM. Reason: I'm stupid!

Real Name
    Dave Schultz
    We tied new hose and clamps, cleaning, scuffing, hairspray, and the other tricks.

The codes show that the intake is clogged. The diesel mechanic says that these Navistars in the 2006 trucks are terrible about this and that the soot gets so thick and hard inside that you need a hammer and chisel to open them back up. The truck has been real hard starting for the last year -- and I assumed it was the glow plugs -- but he says it is sooted up pretty bad. This guy is a bud -- not someone looking to bend me over.

He's going to remove the turbo unit and intake, take the intake to get boiled out, close off the EGR (as that's the next issue to expect -- that they leak coolant and then you have to tear the whole damn thing down again to replace the EGR cooling system for better than a grand), and reassemble.

Thread Information