The State of the Class...You Really Need to Worry About

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State of the Class...You Really Need to Worry About

The State of Our Class…You Really Need to Worry About.

As I write this post, I am thinking of the passion I have for NSS racing…the people, the cars, the tracks where we race and the fans who love to see us come. Unfortunately, there is a clear and present danger threatening our sport, targeted solely on NSS racing.

This post is meant to inform you of the actions taken by others and to share their intentions as they have laid it out for us. The NMCA and your rules committee has no intentions of being extorted and bullied into these changes. Based upon the initial input of information we have received, Clay Kossuth, Jim Netherland and myself have resigned from the NSSNA Rules Committee. We will, however, create a new committee to help steer NSS into the future. The NMCA agrees with this plan and will follow the lead of this new committee.

With that on the table, let me go back to the beginning.

As you may know, there is a Nostalgia Super Stock Club in the Chicago/Wisconsin area. This club operates under a match racing format which differs from the index racing many of our NSS racing organizations conduct. Earlier this year, Rich Berlisk and Bob Wilkiewicz, representing the Club, placed a registered trademark on both the terms Nostalgia Super Stock and NSS. The information on this action is available at www.nostalgiasuperstock.com. The trademark application states the request is to protect the name for “educational, entertainment and archival” purposes. When Rich and Bob told me about what they had done (after the fact) and that they had received approval for the registered trademark, I expressed to them it was a bad idea and that I would not stand for any race organization or racer having to pay any monies or sign any releases to use the names Nostalgia Super Stock or NSS. Nothing happened until this week.

Bringing you up to speed this week.

This week, your NSSNA Rules Committee received a letter from Bob Wilkiewicz. Without our knowledge or consent, Rich and Bob have also trademarked the name of our rules committee. The impact of this became apparent immediately in their letter. They began outlining the rules of NSS racing as they saw fit as the new owners of the trademark. This is beyond reproach. NSS racing has always been self-governing and self-policing. As racers, we challenge one another. We argue the points as new racing technology becomes available. Our objective is to come to agreement and make certain the racing is competitive. The racers, along with the NHRA, decide what goes into the rules—thus our cars—and what does not.

Also this week, Bob sent a letter to the NMCA asking them to reach out and negotiate terms to use the names they trademarked: Nostalgia Super Stock and NSS. They have indicated they will do the same to the other race promoters and website administrators. Worse case scenario for us is if the promoters reject their attempts to collect money for use of the name and drop our class from their races. We have no intention for these misguided individuals to come between us and racing.

Negotiating terms with promoters and dictating rules to racers are a far cry from the innocent-sounding trademark application whose stated intent was for “educational, entertainment and archival” purposes.

Next steps.

Your rules committee is working closely with NMCA, consulting NHRA, and have reached out to our own legal counsel to get this hostile takeover of our sport stopped. Our promoters are looking into the legality as well. I will keep you informed as we make progress in this situation.

Final thoughts.

Clearly, this is about control and greed. We are a group of racers who put our own skin in the game. We work all week to get the chance to race on the weekends. We have invested hard-earned money into our cars. We are too proud of Nostalgia Super Stock racing to allow it to become a puppet race class due to a deceptive trademark maneuver.

What you can do.

If you have thoughts on how we should move forward, please email Clay, Jim or myself. I also suggest you call and email Bob Wilkiewicz stillrock69@hotmail.com and Rich Berlisk rberlisk@wi.rr.com and let them know what you think about their actions.

Thank you,

Doug Duell
    doug@evansvillekia.com

i find it appalling that any group of people would act like Squatters on a class of racing by attempting to trademark that class of racing; and then demand that any organization or website pay to license the use and follow their dictated terms of use.

I have been told that I can personally expect their attempt to license my use of NSS with this and other of my web sites, and that in addition to me having to wet the beak of the Dons Nostalgia Super Stock, Inc., they don't like the way I run this site and have some changes I will need to make.

Well they can kiss my hairy NOSTALGIA SUPER STOCK ass, and I'll wipe my ass with and paper sent to me by them or on their behalf. I suggest that no one caves into this type of extortion.

I've talked to Doug at great length about this, and since I actually had this happen to me once before in business and prevailed in having their fraudulently obtained trademark cancelled, along with some heavy financial pain to both the temporary trademark holder and their attorney who knew something wasn't right in the trademark he represented being registered.

Nostalgia Super Stock is a generic term describing super stock racing by nostalgia cars and rules. You cannot legally trademark a generic term, and there are safeguards the applicant of a trademark have to use to ensure a trademark isn't on a generic term nor that there has been widespread and long term use of the term. This and my reading of their application and amendments to the application make me feel that there might be criminal fraud in the application process to the Patent and Trademark Office. I can't say more as the attorneys prefer an element of surprise when they pounce.

There is a first step process to protest and cancel a trademark. If that isn't successful, then the legal fees on both sides are very expensive, as this takes place in Federal Court after many record searches; Discovery; and depositions of applicants, club members and the registering attorney. If it comes to this, a legal fund will need to be established as an example needs to made to deter future Race Class Squatters of extorting money from those who promote, discuss, and race in a specific class. I ask that if it comes to this that all drag racers help with what they can, as this could someday affect all racers if not nipped in the bud now.

I suggest that all racers who care, reach out to the members of this club to let them know how you feel about them trying to fully take over our class, and that you will support the fight against them.
    Maniacal Ravings of an Old Hippie
    Shop Diary of an Old NSS Racer

My image posting solution was to go to Southern Star Hosting, to register the domain of www.OldHippiesPhotos.com for less than $10, and hosting for less than $5 a month. I then installed the Free Application Zen Photo with one click from my Control Panel. I have tens of thousands of my photo digitized, which in time I'll upload there to preserve from disaster, and access from anywhere. In the meantime it makes for a great place to host my forum photos - plus I can still install 24 more free applications on that site if I cared to.

Comment

Bob Wilkiewicz

Is this the same Bob that has been at most races and has helped and has records on this class????

If so this is really disappointing
      sigpic

Comment

We are an outspoken group of racers that really enjoy this class. I for one started a huge argument over some questions and comments about our class. I did that because I love this class and type of racing. Were they so blinded by greed that they thought we would just back down and pay them for the right to use? Surely these folks realized we would object and push back. Did it even cross their minds that they could ultimately diminish the class with these actions. I will gladly fight for the class under NMCA and any specialty event that will have us.

Comment

I find this a disturbing turn of events. I don't know Rich, but it is surprising and disappointing for me that Bob would do be a party to this. I'll certainly support any action taken to have these trademark claims withdrawn.

Comment

I think this is the part that is the most disturbing to me

" Principal Register by the United States Patent and Trademark Office on March 24, 2015 to be used to provide various association services in US classes 100, 101 and 107 and in international classes 35 and 41."

I read that to say they had this in place since March 24. All the while, Bob came and helped and organized the NSS class at the Dave Duell Classic and At the hot rod reunion. I despise someone that looks you in the face all the while plotting to cheat you.

Comment

Everyone needs to understand that the only solution to this is the total revocation of this trademark to Nostalgia Super Stock Inc.

It is my opinion that it was fraudulently obtained for at least three reasons.

1. You cannot trademark a descriptive term. Nostalgia Super Stock is a descriptive term as it describes something. Super Stock racing using Nostalgia cars and rules. It would be like trying to trademark Index Racing, Bracket Racing, or match racing.

2. You cannot trademark a term in wide use and for a long period. Nostalgia Super Stock has been in wide use for many people and organizations for a very long time. As such, the trademark on NSS is also invalid.

3. The application process requires due diligence identifying all of those using the term and giving them proper notification (through a source they'd consider proper notification) to protest. That obviously wasn't done.

Once you have have a trademark, you have to defend the trademark to keep it.

A strategy might be for Nostalgia Super Stock, Inc. to promise to not try to monetize the use of the term. That's not going to be good enough for a variety of reasons.

* The first is they can always change their mind later.
              * The second is that they still have to license the use of the term to others, to cover the requirement of protecting the trademark, and they can always give other restrictive and unreasonable terms besides monetization.
              * Most importantly, they shouldn't be trusted. Anyone wanting to both monopolize and extort shouldn't be trusted.

It costs $350 in Filing Fees each to protest these trademarks and suggest investigation for fraudulent application, plus maybe $3,000 in legal fees (if all goes smooth) to prepare and file the protest. This should be immediately done if Nostalgia Super Stock, Inc. members do not IMMEDIATELY voluntarily surrender those trademark. Once surrendered or revoked, the terms are red flagged to never be trademarked again. Don't fall for the excuse of trademarking for educational (bullshit) purposes or to protect from bad things. What bad things, and what does a trademark have anything to do with educational?

If for some reason a bureaucrat at the Patent and Trademark Office doesn't revoke based on the protests filed, then a suit against Nostalgia Super Stock, Inc. and the signer of the application has to be filed in Federal Court for the court to take action against Nostalgia Super Stock, Inc. and revoke trademarks. After discovery and depositions, often other names are added to suit if they colluded with a plan that obtained a trademark for a fraudulent reason - such as saying they wanted for educational purposes when in reality they wanted money. Depositions bring this out. This gets very expensive, but has to be done. If it comes to this a Gofundme account can be established and the Internet used to solicit to cover legal fees from Promoters, racers, sponsors, and any other party against Trademark Trolling.

Sure you can always change the name of the class, but that would be letting wrong win, and we can't let that happen. We shouldn't cave.

I'm putting together a plan of action and will be seeking legal advice on how to best proceed. All racing organizations, racers, web sites, and Mopar/racing magazines (who will need to help tell the story of trolls trademarking a class of racing) need to stick to their guns and not cave in.

In the near future I'll be asking for contact information of all NSS clubs/ promoters who have raced a NSS class, and copies of old fliers, trophies, plaques, etc... using the term Nostalgia Super Stock and NSS.

Whatever personal differences clubs and individuals might have with each other should be put aside for this important cause.

My image posting solution was to go to Southern Star Hosting, to register the domain of www.OldHippiesPhotos.com for less than $10, and hosting for less than $5 a month. I then installed the Free Application Zen Photo with one click from my Control Panel. I have tens of thousands of my photo digitized, which in time I'll upload there to preserve from disaster, and access from anywhere. In the meantime it makes for a great place to host my forum photos - plus I can still install 24 more free applications on that site if I cared to.

Comment

This is the trademark for Nostalgia Super Stock

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer...ndex=13&page=1

Comment

PTO Form 1478 (Rev 9/2006)
                  OMB No. 0651-0009 (Exp 12/31/2014)
                  Trademark/Service Mark Application, Principal Register

Serial Number: 86306801
                  Filing Date: 06/11/2014
                  The table below presents the data as entered.

Input Field
                  Entered
                  SERIAL NUMBER 86306801
                  MARK INFORMATION
                  *MARK NOSTALGIA SUPER STOCK
                  STANDARD CHARACTERS YES
                  USPTO-GENERATED IMAGE YES
                  LITERAL ELEMENT NOSTALGIA SUPER STOCK
                  MARK STATEMENT The mark consists of standard characters, without claim to any particular font, style, size, or color.
                  REGISTER Principal
                  APPLICANT INFORMATION
                  *OWNER OF MARK Nostalgia Super Stock, Inc.
                  *STREET N87 W28288 Scott Lane
                  *CITY Hartland
                  *STATE
                  (Required for U.S. applicants) Wisconsin
                  *COUNTRY United States
                  *ZIP/POSTAL CODE
                  (Required for U.S. applicants only) 53029
                  LEGAL ENTITY INFORMATION
                  TYPE non-profit corporation
                  STATE/COUNTRY WHERE LEGALLY ORGANIZED Illinois
                  GOODS AND/OR SERVICES AND BASIS INFORMATION
                  INTERNATIONAL CLASS 035
                  *IDENTIFICATION Association services, namely, promoting the history, interest and awareness of automobiles
                  FILING BASIS SECTION 1(a)
                  FIRST USE ANYWHERE DATE At least as early as 00/00/1989
                  FIRST USE IN COMMERCE DATE At least as early as 00/00/1989
                  SPECIMEN FILE NAME(S)
                  ORIGINAL PDF FILE SPE0-20725050154-100813906_._specimen_35.pdf
                  CONVERTED PDF FILE(S)
                  (2 pages) \\TICRS\EXPORT16\IMAGEOUT16\863\068\86306801\xml1\ APP0003.JPG
                  \\TICRS\EXPORT16\IMAGEOUT16\863\068\86306801\xml1\ APP0004.JPG
                  SPECIMEN DESCRIPTION screen shot from website
                  INTERNATIONAL CLASS 041
                  *IDENTIFICATION Educational, entertainment and historical archival services in the nature of automobile displays, exhibitions and races; providing recognition and incentives by way of awards to demonstrate excellence and to promote interest and awareness in the field of automobiles
                  FILING BASIS SECTION 1(a)
                  FIRST USE ANYWHERE DATE At least as early as 00/00/1989
                  FIRST USE IN COMMERCE DATE At least as early as 00/00/1989
                  SPECIMEN FILE NAME(S)
                  ORIGINAL PDF FILE SPE0-20725050154-102232325_._specimen_41.pdf
                  CONVERTED PDF FILE(S)
                  (2 pages) \\TICRS\EXPORT16\IMAGEOUT16\863\068\86306801\xml1\ APP0005.JPG
                  \\TICRS\EXPORT16\IMAGEOUT16\863\068\86306801\xml1\ APP0006.JPG
                  SPECIMEN DESCRIPTION screen shot from website
                  ATTORNEY INFORMATION
                  NAME John M. Manion
                  ATTORNEY DOCKET NUMBER 2318.22384
                  FIRM NAME Ryan Kromholz & Manion, S.C.
                  STREET PO Box 26618
                  CITY Milwaukee
                  STATE Wisconsin
                  COUNTRY United States
                  ZIP/POSTAL CODE 53226-0618
                  PHONE 262 783-1300
                  FAX 262 783-1211
                  EMAIL ADDRESS rkmip@rkmiplaw.com
                  AUTHORIZED TO COMMUNICATE VIA EMAIL Yes
                  OTHER APPOINTED ATTORNEY Joseph A. Kromholz, Reg. No. 34,204; John M. Manion, Reg. No. 38,957; Daniel R. Johnson, Reg. No. 46,204; Patrick J. Fleis, Reg. No. 55,185; Melissa S. Hockersmith, Reg. No. 56,960; Laura A. Dable, Reg. No. 46,436; Garet K. Galster, Reg. No. 59,643; and Jason W. Krueger, Reg. No. 71,680
                  CORRESPONDENCE INFORMATION
                  NAME John M. Manion
                  FIRM NAME Ryan Kromholz & Manion, S.C.
                  STREET PO Box 26618
                  CITY Milwaukee
                  STATE Wisconsin
                  COUNTRY United States
                  ZIP/POSTAL CODE 53226-0618
                  PHONE 262 783-1300
                  FAX 262 783-1211
                  EMAIL ADDRESS rkmip@rkmiplaw.com
                  AUTHORIZED TO COMMUNICATE VIA EMAIL Yes
                  FEE INFORMATION
                  NUMBER OF CLASSES 2
                  FEE PER CLASS 325
                  *TOTAL FEE DUE 650
                  *TOTAL FEE PAID 650
                  SIGNATURE INFORMATION
                  SIGNATURE /Richard A. Berlisk/
                  SIGNATORY'S NAME Richard A. Berlisk
                  SIGNATORY'S POSITION President
                  DATE SIGNED 06/11/2014

PTO Form 1478 (Rev 9/2006)
                  OMB No. 0651-0009 (Exp 12/31/2014)

Trademark/Service Mark Application, Principal Register

Filing Date: 06/11/2014
                  To the Commissioner for Trademarks:

MARK: NOSTALGIA SUPER STOCK (Standard Characters, see mark)
                  The literal element of the mark consists of NOSTALGIA SUPER STOCK.
                  The mark consists of standard characters, without claim to any particular font, style, size, or color.

The applicant, Nostalgia Super Stock, Inc., a non-profit corporation legally organized under the laws of Illinois, having an address of
                  N87 W28288 Scott Lane
                  Hartland, Wisconsin 53029
                  United States

requests registration of the trademark/service mark identified above in the United States Patent and Trademark Office on the Principal Register established by the Act of July 5, 1946 (15 U.S.C. Section 1051 et seq.), as amended, for the following:

International Class 035: Association services, namely, promoting the history, interest and awareness of automobiles

In International Class 035, the mark was first used by the applicant or the applicant's related company or licensee or predecessor in interest at least as early as 00/00/1989, and first used in commerce at least as early as 00/00/1989, and is now in use in such commerce. The applicant is submitting one(or more) specimen(s) showing the mark as used in commerce on or in connection with any item in the class of listed goods and/or services, consisting of a(n) screen shot from website.

Original PDF file:
                  SPE0-20725050154-100813906_._specimen_35.pdf
                  Converted PDF file(s) (2 pages)
                  Specimen File1
                  Specimen File2

International Class 041: Educational, entertainment and historical archival services in the nature of automobile displays, exhibitions and races; providing recognition and incentives by way of awards to demonstrate excellence and to promote interest and awareness in the field of automobiles

In International Class 041, the mark was first used by the applicant or the applicant's related company or licensee or predecessor in interest at least as early as 00/00/1989, and first used in commerce at least as early as 00/00/1989, and is now in use in such commerce. The applicant is submitting one(or more) specimen(s) showing the mark as used in commerce on or in connection with any item in the class of listed goods and/or services, consisting of a(n) screen shot from website.

Original PDF file:
                  SPE0-20725050154-102232325_._specimen_41.pdf
                  Converted PDF file(s) (2 pages)
                  Specimen File1
                  Specimen File2

The applicant's current Attorney Information:
                  John M. Manion and Joseph A. Kromholz, Reg. No. 34,204; John M. Manion, Reg. No. 38,957; Daniel R. Johnson, Reg. No. 46,204; Patrick J. Fleis, Reg. No. 55,185; Melissa S. Hockersmith, Reg. No. 56,960; Laura A. Dable, Reg. No. 46,436; Garet K. Galster, Reg. No. 59,643; and Jason W. Krueger, Reg. No. 71,680 of Ryan Kromholz & Manion, S.C.
                  PO Box 26618
                  Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226-0618
                  United States
                  The attorney docket/reference number is 2318.22384.
                  The applicant's current Correspondence Information:
                  John M. Manion
                  Ryan Kromholz & Manion, S.C.
                  PO Box 26618
                  Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226-0618
                  262 783-1300(phone)
                  262 783-1211(fax)
                  rkmip@rkmiplaw.com (authorized)

A fee payment in the amount of $650 has been submitted with the application, representing payment for 2 class(es).

Declaration

The signatory believes that: if the applicant is filing the application under 15 U.S.C. Section 1051(a), the applicant is the owner of the trademark/service mark sought to be registered; the applicant or the applicant's related company or licensee is using the mark in commerce on or in connection with the goods/services in the application, and such use by the applicant's related company or licensee inures to the benefit of the applicant; the specimen(s) shows the mark as used on or in connection with the goods/services in the application; and/or if the applicant filed an application under 15 U.S.C. Section 1051(b), Section 1126(d), and/or Section 1126(e), the applicant is entitled to use the mark in commerce; the applicant has a bona fide intention to use or use through the applicant's related company or licensee the mark in commerce on or in connection with the goods/services in the application. The signatory believes that to the best of the signatory's knowledge and belief, no other person has the right to use the mark in commerce, either in the identical form or in such near resemblance as to be likely, when used on or in connection with the goods/services of such other person, to cause confusion or mistake, or to deceive. The signatory being warned that willful false statements and the like are punishable by fine or imprisonment, or both, under 18 U.S.C. Section 1001, and that such willful false statements and the like may jeopardize the validity of the application or any registration resulting therefrom, declares that all statements made of his/her own knowledge are true and all statements made on information and belief are believed to be true.

Declaration Signature

Signature: /Richard A. Berlisk/ Date: 06/11/2014
                  Signatory's Name: Richard A. Berlisk
                  Signatory's Position: President
                  RAM Sale Number: 86306801
                  RAM Accounting Date: 06/12/2014

Internet Transmission Date: Wed Jun 11 15:42:37 EDT 2014
                  TEAS Stamp: USPTO/BAS-207.250.50.154-201406111542376
                  34189-86306801-5001da9d8f5b7d8c41b9b0d38
                  07c40446d865f6370c3d54bbf3b0ae27b5e511f-
                  CC-2038-20140611102232325097

Comment

https://trademarks.justia.com/863/06/nss-86306798.html
                    https://trademarks.justia.com/863/06...-86306801.html

Comment

So if you want to use the name NSS or promote a race with a NSS class you will have to pay them???? also how will this impact us racers I am asking this because frankly I am ignorant to what is going on and im from Kentucky !!!!(HILLBILLY)

Comment

Generally it starts with the promoters like Monster Mopar, 422, Victory, NMCA, Mopars on the Strip, .... where they want the beak wetted "to cover administration Fees) to use NSS or Nostalgia Super Stock, and submit to their rules. Those who are cowards will either submit, drop or change the name of the class. Then anyone with T-Shirts, calendars and memorabilia will get cease and desist until they license. Cars with NSS on the windshield will need to be racing only in licensed events. Web sites like this will be asked to License and submit to their standards.

These people didn't not think out the shitstorm about to happen from this.

In addition to the expense for legally challenge to revoke and investigate the application -- they list sponsors on their web site who won't be too happy hearing for NSS racers.
                        Magazine publishers like Rob Wolfe will have a field day reporting on the Black Hand of Drag racing.

Some think that the Promoters will cave and change name, drop, or pay -- but they have already said they're joining in on the fight.

This is not a regional problem -- but a National problem

Comment

Sponsored by:

North Suburban Auto Supply, Evanston, IL
                          Strange Engineering strangeengineering.net
                          Prairieland Development, Springfield, IL prairieland.com
                          Almost NOS, Hartland, WI
                          R.B. Restorations, LLC, Hartland, WI
                          Kilpatrick Engine and Transmission, Waukesha, WI kilpatrickengine.com
                          Top Notch Vehicles, Jefferson, WI topnotchvehicles.com
                          Watertown Body Shop, Watertown, WI watertownbodyshop.net
                          Grinwald Ford, Watertown, WI grinwaldford.net
                          RUSH Performance Transmissions, 404 Manchester Ln Hartland, WI 53029 262-966-7004

Would you you the products of those who sponsor The Black Hand?

Soon google will index this post and those searching for these sponsors' web site will see the type of people those people these vendors sponsor.

Comment

Here's a list of some of their members, with their email address to contact them. They can't all be thinking it is a good idea to extort NSS racing. If any are your friends -- you may want to speak with them.

http://nostalgiasuperstock.com/members-list/

Comment

Doug or Dave, is this the rules they want to mandate to the sheeple?

http://nostalgiasuperstock.com/club_rules/

Thats is absolute garbage. It goes against the class and excludes a ton of racers. Including myself, the wagon we are converting and Barry Camp right off the top of my head.

Comment

Working...
                              X