Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will it go faster?

if so, how much

Ok, so I have a new engine for the Vitamin C. Freshly machine .040 440 block. New Eagle 8-bolt crank and H Beam Rods. Two new pistons (nicks in the ones they replaced) and the other six have 30 passes. New Coyles timing set, New Oil pimp gear and Bronze gear. Same cam and lifters. Max Wedge heads were machined and new guides and valves. They were pretty bad. Same Harland Sharp rockers. Put the Mopar Performance Cross Ram intake back on, but getting the Valve covers on and off with that intake is a PITA

So I have been looking for a good STR14 for some time, as the Indy is too much for that engine. A couple years ago you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a dual carb STR14 for $300. Now everyone things they're STR15s and wanting stupid money $1800-$2100. I finally found one that I talked down to $1200.

Click image for larger version

Name:	27989729_10214976031784916_1304494474_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	28350

So I intend to leave the MP Cross Ram on to compare to the old engine. The 426 I first had was good for 10.6. The 440 I replaced it with was 10.9s, but watching the machinist rattle the values in the guides and seeing condition of valves I can see why it dropped off. I've got better parts and heads, so I'm hoping to be back to 10.5-10.6 - but you never know. Once I've got a baseline with that, I'll swap on the Rat Roaster, and expect better.

What do you think?
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

I am on the lookout for an Inline top.

Comment

I'll keep an eye open Dave.

Comment

I'm told the inline top for a STR14 is a different shape than the base.

Comment

Working...
        X