Weight - Bolt On Removable, Bolt On Non-Removable and Loose On NSS Cars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight - Bolt On Removable, Bolt On Non-Removable and Loose On NSS Cars

I understand that cars were checked for loose weight at Indy and that eight NSS drivers were in violation in one way or another. Because a few of the drivers had an incredible amount of weight, this has been used as one of the reasons for the Index changes.

On Facebook and with discussions with many other racers, opinions of rules on weights are all over the map. Additionally, I've seen all kinds of cool ways that racers have mounted weights in their cars, which after some research I find were all illegal, including the way I did it.

So here's what I've learned about the rules in NHRA (since NMCA doesn't address it in the rules), and I post it here so that we can have a discussion and everyone has time to get legal. It would make mre sense if NMCA would clarify this in their rules, so all f te goofy and unsafe setups are eliminated.

On bolt on weight, my understanding is that you can bolt up to 100 pounds of "Removable Weight" TO THE FRAME BUT NOT OVER THE REAR WHEEL with two 1/2" Grade 8 bolts and nuts. Any more weight bolted on has to be non-removable with the nuts welded on. With regards to "Loose Weight", you can have up to two properly secured weight boxes (unless a class specifically limits you to just one - which NSS doesn't) that can weigh up to 100 pounds each, including the weight of the box.

I'm not sure what the rules are about securing 5 pound pucks to frame, as I don't see anyone doing that.

Now if you want to bolt weight in your trunk, you have to bolt it to reasonably sufficient steel that is spanned between the frame rails and welded to it, thus becoming part of the frame. You can't just bolt to a trunk pan or floor pan for safety reasons according to the rules.

You can weld in a piece of 2" angle iron between the frame rails tight to under the trunk pan. You could then drill through that and from the underside of the car insert a pair of 1/2" Grade 8 both through it and the trunk pan, and weld the heads to the angle iron. Then you could put up to 100 pounds of steel with two 1/2" holes drilled through them on those bolts, and secure with Grade 8 nuts and lock washers for the "Removable Bolt On Weight".

I ASSuMe that loose weight boxes also have to be connected directly to the frame, because what's the safety difference between 100 pounds of steel or 100 pounds of weight box bolted to a floor pan or trunk pan? None. So my intention is to bolt the box in the trunk with two 1/2" Grade 8 hardware to a 2" wide piece of 1/4" thick angle steel - run tight under the trunk pan, and welded to the frame rails.

I hope that if there is a crackdown on weight in 2018, and there should be, that it done to the letter of the rules and not a loose interpretation. There are a ton of illegal setups, and yet is easy enough to comply with since we have 3.5 months to fix. These curtain rods with weight plates in the trunk setups shouldn't fly. Rules say that if not in a properly secured box, it has to have two 1/2" Grade 8 bolts and be limited to 100 total removable.

What say you?

Maniacal Ravings of an Old Hippie
    Shop Diary of an Old NSS Racer

My image posting solution was to go to Southern Star Hosting, to register the domain of www.OldHippiesPhotos.com for less than $10, and hosting for less than $5 a month. I then installed the Free Application Zen Photo with one click from my Control Panel. I have tens of thousands of my photo digitized, which in time I'll upload there to preserve from disaster, and access from anywhere. In the meantime it makes for a great place to host my forum photos - plus I can still install 24 more free applications on that site if I cared to.

"With regards to "Loose Weight", you can have up to two properly secured weight boxes (unless a class specifically limits you to just one - which NSS doesn't) that can weigh up to 100 pounds each, including the weight of the box."

So up to 200lbs as long as it's in 2 weight boxes. Hmm. I'd rather they keep the .50 indexes, the .25 was dreamed up for the FX cars. lol Next they'll tempt us with allowing holley carbs on a wedge motors.

Comment

The way I understand removable ballast is 100# max. You can have two boxes, 50# each (including box weight). From the NHRA tech question site:

http://www.nhraracer.com/content/gen...rticleid=52414

"In the 2012 NHRA Rulebook, Section 10A, page 8, under Frame: Ballast, our rules state that “Weight box permitted. Only 100 pounds removable ballast permitted, including box (two-box maximum with 50 pounds each). Must be attached to frame or crossmember with minimum of two 1/2 –inch bolts. May not be attached to roll bar or cage. Additional ballast must be permanently attached to frame or crossmember, i.e., bolted with at least two 1/2-inch bolts per 100 pounds, with nut welded to bolt.”"

Comment

I am not an expert by any means on this. I was one of the ones that got scolded for having over 100 lbs. I was told 100 lbs total in boxes plus the welded nut weight...not 100lbs in each of the two boxes. I went down to the scales to make sure I understood for next year and they pointed this out in the 2017 NHRA rule book. This was an NHRA tech guy that was sitting with the NMCA tech.

I brought all this up on facebook to help folks for next year. You saw how well that went.

This is snipped from the 2017 rule book:

edit: apparently I am not able to add an attachment.

Here is the link. page 18
        http://promod.nhra.com/userfiles/fil...en.%20Regs.pdf

Comment

Ok, so my reading from those rules is

1.Total ballast not to exceed 500
          2. All weight boxes have to be at least 1/8 thick
          3. Weight bx AND weight not to exceed 100 pounds
          4. Doesn't appear to be limit on number of weight boxes, so you could technically run five?
          5. ALL WEIGHT BOXES HAVE TO BE CONNECTED TO FRAME OR CROSS MEMBER WITH TWO 1/2" GRADE 8 BOLTS
          6. Bolt on weight TO MAKE CLASS WEIGHT has to have nuts welded, but what about bolt in weight NOT REQUIRED to make class weight?

Maniacal Ravings of an Old Hippie
          Shop Diary of an Old NSS Racer

My image posting solution was to go to Southern Star Hosting, to register the domain of www.OldHippiesPhotos.com for less than $10, and hosting for less than $5 a month. I then installed the Free Application Zen Photo with one click from my Control Panel. I have tens of thousands of my photo digitized, which in time I'll upload there to preserve from disaster, and access from anywhere. In the meantime it makes for a great place to host my forum photos - plus I can still install 24 more free applications on that site if I cared to.

Comment

Working...
          X