Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preliminary Planning of my performance parts, Does anyone know?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preliminary Planning of my performance parts, Does anyone know?

Hello Guys, and Ladies if there are any Lady members,

I am in the stageds of gathering my components for a NSS car, my dream I might add!

My questions are the following:
    My car will be campaigned in the NSS/B class with a Wdge engine.

1) What or which dual quad manifolds perform the best, particularly in a cross ram design? or what is it that the majority of racers are running?

2) How many are still using leaf springs, or SS springs, or monoleafs compared to coil over suspensions?

Any thought or assistance would be greatly appreciated as I want the best bang for the buck,,, and of course, I only want to purchase once.

Thank you, Detroit Man

With regards to intake manifolds on iron heads, I have a Mopar Performance on my Vitamin C, which isn't quite a B/NSS with my full figured body in it. The A&A is better and maybe worth another 3/10, and more expensive. Most of the Wedge guys run 440-1 head with the Indy intake to go A or faster.

While most of the faster cars are coil-over ladder bars, but there are a few fast cars with caltracks. Mr. Aruba and Joe Midile are two that come to mind.
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

Hello there Whale, and thanks for the comeback.
      Being a veteran Bracket Racer for almost 40 years, I have never really used a coil over set-up. Reason I asked that ? was to see or find out if any guys found the performance hubersome when running either or. What are you running on the Vitamin C car for your rear suspension?

Different subject: back to the cross rams, how about the Indy Manifold that "looks Like" an inline? Does this compare well to the crossrams out there? What I find hard to believe is that I have never seen any flow data on these manifolds, nor comparative testing on the same engines; Perhaps somebody out there has this data??

Detroit MAn

Comment

The Vitamin C is coil over ladder as is the Big Red Ram. The Whale and the black Coronet are coil over 4-link.

Mr. Aruba 60's in the low 1.3s as does Joe.

Those cars are 9.75 and 9.50 -- so it can be done. That said -- I think it might affect handling on bad tracks. At Milan, Mr. Aruba was having a real hard time getting down the track, especially in the left lane -- and had to abort all of his Time Trials and I think all but one of his qualifying. I was also running 9.75 and my son 9.50 -- and we didn't have near that problem. That may have been a leaf spring issue with hard launches on a hot and shitty track. His car normally runs straight as a string and I don't believe I've ever seen him have that problem before.

On the Indy inline -- no data except to tell your that I and others have tried both the inline and the cross ram lids -- and the inline is (on every car I know that's tried both) faster. Its a good intake, but you need big heads. It was too much intake for the Vitamin C's smaller motor.

Comment

Well I can't thank you enough Whale for enlightening me on these two subjects and the info is very helpfull.
          I have lots of planning to do and refabricating work to contend with. Will probably Bracket Race for this season and then get the SS car out to campaign in full force, hopefully by the end of 2013.
          Thank you again,,, I love the site too!
          G'Day
          Detroit Man

Comment

The inline configuration will always be faster on this type engine. There has been testing done on a few occasions to include Dave Duell several years ago. The inline is worth .15-.25 over the cross depending on combo. The Str manifold can be made to outrun the the factory style cross rams and the A&A is better an the factory intake in most cases.

Comment

I run NSS/B
              My comb's pretty basic and low maintenance

stock 440 block, 4.15 eagle crank and rods w/chevy journals
              wisco flat top pistons
              indy "little easy 295" heds
              small 620 roller cam
              A&A crossram w/ 2 eddy 750 carbs
              TTI headers and exhaust X-pipe and dyno max mufflers
              ati 8" converter
              dana w/ 4.30 gears
              caltracs with mono leafs
              I launch at 2000 shift at 6000 and cros the stripe at 6700

runs consistent 10.50's will go 10.20's all out

Last edited by NSS Guy; 01-24-2013, 09:04 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

Well Whale, when you say smaller motor, I assume your speakin under 500ci right?

Comment

Great shot!!!

Comment

manifold comparison
                    http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/t...old/index.html

indy inline worth about 100 over the MP Crossram

I have ran both the MP crossram and the A&A crossram the A&A crossram definitely worth a tenth + over the MP. This is my opinion on the intake deal, for the cool factory look the A&A crossram is the real deal 100% authentic look and best performance. For all out best ET then the INDY inline intake is the one. my 2 cents

Comment

Yeah I think you need to be pushing 500+ ci to start needing the Indy intake.

I have the Mopar Performance cross ram on the 440 with Max Wedge Heads in the Vitamin C. The A&A is absolutely the better of the stock look. Like Fugly said, the Edelbrock STR14 is a period rat roaster that is a litter better.

http://www.oldhippie.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=688

Edelbrock STR

Mopar Performance

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the info, appreciated very much! NSS Guy, curious how many ci the engine is your talkin about??

Mr. Whale, might I ask where to got that engine mounting plate at, and do you run a mid mount plate with it??

Detroit Man

Comment

Those were the last of the Elephant Ears that Herb Mccandless cut and part of the inventory Hennesey acquired. However Mancinni has something similar. Call Wes and ask him if he'll give you a MoparStyle.com discount an a pair. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think theirs are connected to be more like a skinny plate that can have the center cut out if you prefer ears.

we don't run mid plates on the automatic transmission cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Detroit Man View Post
                            Hey guys thanks for the info, appreciated very much! NSS Guy, curious how many ci the engine is your talkin about??

Detroit Man
                            My motor is 499 ci , 4.15 stroke 4.375 bore. the chevy rods size allows room for stock oil pickup.

Comment

I run The Modman Indy manifold on a 540 ci with 440-1 heads comp roller cam w/750 edel carbs,MSD Crankfired Ignition Can dip into the high 9's when I want to. But consistant 10 second car, I run ss/a I was low qulifier at the 2012 Monster Mopar in St Louis at 10.27 on a 10.25 dial with the Victory bunch. I also run S/S springs with Competition 3 way shocks set stiff and competition bars. No need for snuber haven't run one ever. Don't over enginer your car at 10 seconds, I see a lot of guys spend tons of money with very little results.Forgot to say my car is 65 Belveder. See you at the races

Comment

Working...
                              X